Monday, March 16, 2009

RANDOM SACRAMENT MEETING TIDBITS, MARCH 15TH 2009

1. I don't know who said this. "A bishop has a special blessing to be able to have the attendance of the Holy Ghost to help him to know what to say to his ward members to help them." As a wife and mother I think I should have also be able to have the attendance of the Holy Ghost--according to my worthiness--to be able to call down those same powers of Heaven to help me with my husband, children and grandchildren. (And with my rebellious self.)

2. Again, I'm not sure who said this as we had several youth speakers and it was one of them. "There is a way out of every problem, you just have to ask for help."

3. This was from Susan Gong's talk: When she was in college and dating she said she was good at "snarking." She was a "snarkaholic." (To be snarky you are very clever and say mean things about another person, often making others laugh.)

She said she got called on her snarking ability by a girl she was double dating with. She was grateful the girl had that courage to confront her about it. Susan changed right then and there and she urged us to be kind. She urged us to take the admonition of Jesus, "Love one another, as I have loved you." Jesus stated this at least five times-- in different ways--in the book of John. It is an important commandment.

She told the story of a woman whose husband has Alzheimer's and has had it for 17 years. She is his caregiver. She says he only knows two words. One is "no" and the other is "go." They live in St. George and she has meetings in Salt Lake City--maybe once a month, I didn't get that part, maybe it's once a week. Instead of leaving him with someone else she puts him in the car and drives to Salt Lake, takes him to a care facility for two hours, goes to her meeting and then drives him home. That is a long distance, I'm guessing six hours in the car each way. She does this because he likes to "go" and he is more comfortable with her than anyone else, even though he doesn't really know she is his wife.

They used to ballroom dance together. Sometimes she asks him, "Honey, would you like to dance?" He pats her cheeks with both his hands and stands up. He cannot dance but they can sway together and so they do. This is kindness and love personified.

Susan is one of the kindest people I know. I want to be more like her. It doesn't matter to her what your level of intelligence or status is, she treats you as if you were the most valuable person on the planet. She is the Young Women's President and I know she loves each and every one of those girls and will always do the best for them.

So, kindness was on my mind yesterday and I began thinking that we usually think of being kind to others but we need to be kind to ourselves too. One way to be kind to ourselves is to stop procrastinating. Procrastination is one of the Devil's tools to make us discouraged and down on ourselves. We need to do it and do it when the time is right, whether it's the dishes or repentance. A woman I know said this simple thing, when asked why she keeps such a tidy house: "I never regret doing it but will regret not doing it."

Simple. I need to pick up--clean up--put things away--and repent. Every day I need to repent and send prayers asking for help to do it. And I need to be grateful. Gratitude is a blessing that brings blessings.

I am grateful for Sacrament Meeting, it fills me with happiness and peace which helps me get through the week. Sunday School and Relief Society were wonderful too and then I had Trent and Michelle and kids for dinner. I love them so. It was a nice day for me.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Sacrament Meeting. I totally agree with most of them except #2--I am not sure there is a way out of every problem. I can't bring Randy back to life and I can't make my children miss me. I keep asking for God for peace about losing Randy and I don't think it will come, but I will just keep asking and trying to do what God wants me to do--except I am getting slower. I can't do all that I used to be able to do.

    ReplyDelete